CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rice and Beans

So this is a good one I got from my mom.  My mom is a WONDERFUL cook. My husband actually wishes she lived with us just so he can enjoy her cooking more.  And because she is such a swell lady. The great thing about this recipe is that it is pretty versitile.  You can switch things up or if you are missing something, its not that big of a deal.  You can taylor it to your likes and it will pretty much turn out good.  It's hard to mess it up. 

Here is what you will need:

2 Cans Black beans (pinto would work as well)
4 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
Shredded cheese
Chicken
Sour Cream
Salsa
Cilantro
Seasonings

I know the ingredients are not really specific on quantity.  This is just because you can do this to taste.  The basics are beans and rice.  From there you get to be the master of your own dish. 
First, brown some chicken in a skillet with some seasoning (taco, salt, pepper, cumin, etc). Meat can be optional here. Oh, this is pre-sliced chicken I got on sale.  You can just do the traditional chicken breast cooked and then chopped up.


 
Next, crack open your beans, rinse them and put them in a pan.  Add some seasoning like onion and garlic. (or don't, you decide)


Here are the toppings I used


And here is the final dish.  I love cilantro so I pile it on.  For the kids I left off the cilantro.


This has the potential to be a really healthy meal.  You can use brown rice or even quinoa. Use a low fat sour cream and sparingly on the cheese and, viola! There you go.




No comments:

Post a Comment